With the New Year less than a week away, everyone is thinking about goals. New Year, new me…right?
To Start off, some of the best advice regarding setting and achieving goals, is to start right away. Don’t wait until the new year, a new month, don’t even wait until a NEW WEEK! Set the goal and begin either right now or ASAP! When we wait there are so many things that can pop up or get in the way. So, once you decide on a goal here are 5 tips for setting yourself up for success!
- Set SMART Goals
- Specific – “Getting Healthy” = not specific, Eating veggies in every meal = specific
- Measurable – Can you track this goal?
- Attainable – Losing 30lbs in 3 weeks = not attainable, losing 5 lbs in 4-6 weeks = attainable
- Relevant – make sure it is something that is important to you!
- Timely – Realistic, but not too far into the future!
- START RIGHT AWAY! –
- Don’t wait. The more time that passes between setting a goal and starting on it, the more chances we have of not accomplishing that goal.
- Maybe you want to start a program like CrossFit in the Buffalo area, but are unsure and hesitant – The best advice is to just start
- At Absolute Performance Training, we commonly hear “I need to get in shape before I join a gym”…which will be so hard to accomplish by yourself, but make the decision and diev right in with people supporting you and you will not regret it!
- Break Your Goal into Actionable Steps
- create a chart of the steps necessary to accomplish this goal, then set them up in order with dates to be accomplished by.
- Plan for Obstacles
- identify what could go wrong and have a plan to avoid or face these obstacles
- Enjoy the process
- Life is about the journey, not just the end result! If you set a goal and work hard toward it whether you accomplish it or get close, you still have made some habitual changes and moved in a positive direction! Take that as a win and keep moving forward!
So what goal do you want to accomplish next?