In today’s age the name of the game is Speed. Regardless of sport or age athletes at all levels are looking for new ways to train for speed. Whether that is a more explosive first step off the ball in football or a better 10y dash in the 100m dash, all the way to being able to run a better 60m time for college baseball scouts. Not only can speed help you win games, but it can also turn heads from college and pro scouts even at early ages. So how do we Train for Speed?
Whether your goal is to earn a college scholarship or just go from one of the slowest athletes on your team to one of the fastest, here are 3 easy steps you can take inside and outside the gym to improve speed.
So here are 3 Ways to Increase Speed Right Away:
- Get Stronger! – Force production is the number one factor in speed. This means that the more efficient your body is at creating more mass specific force into the ground at proper angles the faster you will be. In even simpler terms, if you can push harder into the ground when you run you will run faster! It’s literally that simple.
- Develop better Coordination – Developing proper mechanics for speed can be challenging especially for athletes hitting growth spurts or that are lacking basic levels of coordination due to how dynamic (or fast) sprinting occurs. In Sprinting a basic rule of thumb is that the arms control the legs. Start with these basic drills to learn to create force with proper arm action.
- A- Series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4fRdjhHVJA
- Improve Mobility – A third, and very common reason that athletes are lacking in linear speed is a lack of mobility. When athletes lose the ability to move well and get stuck in certain patterns such as slouched shoulders, increased stiffness in the hips and ankles, and overstretched hamstrings, the result is a decrease in speed. This is primarily due to the fact that they can no longer get into proper positions to produce the force or angles needed to run FAST. Try these mobility exercises to help improve movement quality and increase speed.
Interested in improving speed and power for your sport? Click here for a FREE Intro Session and we will show you how you can:
- Drop between .10-.30 off of both your 10 and 20y Dash
- Increase Your Vertical by 3-6″ in only 3 months
- Increase your Broad Jump by 6-12″ in 12 weeks!
At Absolute Performance Training, we can guarantee results by providing you with THE BEST HOUR OF YOUR DAY! With both consistency and effort you will accomplish your goals!